December 20, 2015

Boano fork kit

For a long time I was thinking to pull the trigger on serious fork modification.

Option #1
Few tuners offer a complete service, inc. springs, valving and oil, at the cost around 450$ (+ shipping). However, all of them still insist that doesn't matter what, it will still stay with the limited adjustability of the Olle fork and will never be suitable for racing.

Option #2
To get a RR fork. This option require the RR triple clamp (with the XT stem pressed into the lower clamp), shorter spring and a matching valving. Easily 1,500$ work.

Option #3
Boano racing from Itally offer limited number of 45mm fork kit, ready to go at the cost of 970 Euro (1080$ at the time), inc. DHL shipping to the US.

As Boano is a well known racing shop for Beta, without getting too much of details beyond the limited info they have on the web site, I decided to go for it.


Kit contain:
- 45mm Marzocchi OC fork (Shiver), with 30mm shortened travel, 4.5 spring installed (I understood that than can provide 4.8 spring if needed)
- Boano red anodized matching triple clamp
- XT stem pressed into the lower clamp
- 2 Wheel spacers
- Front axle and nut

























Everything look very good, very high quality, perfectly packed.
Installation was as straight forward as it can be.
- Remove front wheel, caliper, front fender, fork guards, handlebar, odometer and lights.
- Remove old triple clamp
- Remove and reuse lower bearing or install a new one
- Install new triple clamp
- Install new fork
- Install caliper, front fender, fork guards, handlebar, odometer and lights
- Replace front wheel spacers with the new one
- Install front wheel
- Torque triple clamp (Boano does not give any info with the fork so I used same torque as the XT as the triple clamp look very much alike. 17nm and 12nm)
- Check free play and adjust

On the garage floor the fork feels very stiff. Actually too much for my liking. Than I checked clickers setting and one of them was almost all the way closed. In order to simulate the Olle fork as much as possible to start with, I went 5 clicks close from all out open.

I wend out riding with this setup, bearing in mind that some break in time is required.

I have to say that I like it from the 1st moment. All the vague feel of the Olle fork disappeared completely. The front end is firm, give nice feedback of whats going on with the front wheel, but at the same time keeps good plushness over rocks and choppy terrain.

Heads-on with whoops was no problem anymore. Bike keep nice line without bouncing around.
Same on rocky single track, when the super fast rebound of the Olle kept sending me off trail once in a while, all gone. Bike keep track straight and firm.

And all this positive feels comes without adjusting anything yet. Bottom line? I'm happy.






24 comments:

  1. Nice write up Yoram. Very interested but I'll need to spend some time with the Olles to understand what it is I'm fixing if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. You might like what the Olle offer :)

      Delete
  2. Nice post. Thanks for sharing. Quite a costly mod. But good to know it can be done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, if you really looking into serious solution, this is the cheapest one. It's about the same cost of full service . revalve and spring on a "normal" full size suspension.

      Delete
  3. Hi Yoram, thanks for your helpful blog. How is going new fork on trial like places, going slow first, second gear? Better than stock one? Have you thought about having Boano Ohlings rear shock as well? Just to know about riding conditions, how much do you weight with full gear on?

    Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's depend on your riding style.
      If you are a real Trial rider which like to hop the wheels and bounce off rocks, you better with the Olle fork.
      The Boano fork is more Endurocross style when you want to go heads-on and to pass as fast as possible even if the technique is somehow "dirty"

      Delete
    2. Ok, i see what you mean. What about Boano Ohlings rear shock? Are thinking on going for it?

      Delete
  4. Yoram how does this compare to the full sized forks? Is it as good as stock forks on newer bikes or is it just a big step closer to a 50mm fork? Do you feel you can get the same amount of plushness ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is older big full size Enduro bike fork.
      It's decently plush, have a great movement into the stroke. I like it and feel they adapt it very well to the XT.

      Delete
  5. Man oh man, great commentary!. So glad I found this blog. Had my 2016 xtrainer since november and starting to "make it mine" if you know what I mean. Playing with my rebound. Trying to get it right for me. Lets chat soon! John in tampa florida, xtrainer, scotts steering damper stabilizer, rekluse modifications thus far. BTW the new plastics and graphics launched today!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure thing. Get me on facebook and we can chat :)
    (got the Fox shock 2 days ago...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, can you do me a big favor and possibly snap a pick of where the axle spacers go, or quickly describe it? I got everything set up last night but am a little confused as to which spacer goes on which side and the orientation.
    Great blog - I'm so happy I found this, your posts are very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just try both sides - you will notice when the wheel is off canter, just look how center is the disk in the caliper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I was thinking, when I went back to finish up the next morning I saw exactly how they fit. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Hello, I have the same problem you do , a 30 in inseam. I am as a consequence the proud owner of a 2016 Beta xt. So far you have not commented on the fox shock. I have talked to Stillwell and they recommend the Ohlins over the Boano. Do you have any thoughts or regrets now that you have lived with the new forks and shock. I am 62 and need the best suspension possible. This bike holds great promise based on my first month of riding. Secondly does the triple clamp have the same handle bar holes and spacing as stock? I would like to order pro moto billet type one system. Thanks for all of the great info both here and on thumper talk and ktmtalk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am riding more motocross now and need to set the xtrainer up more for that. Any recomendations. I currently have the front forks just one click more stiffest, "closed rebound"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did change to 15w fork oil (BelRay) which turns the fork into an excellent working fork. You might play a little bit with the clickers for best performance, but in general the fork works absolutely great with thicker oil.

    about the fox shock: I am also very interested in the comments to the fox shock. could you give us a more detailed feedback, please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey tempranillo, The Belray 15 weight oil suggestion. Was that a response to me? John Scioscia

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey john,

    it was more or less a general information to the readers. but if you are looking for a stiffer, well working fork you might be lucky with this setup (or any other thicker oil, actually i do ride with 20w bel-ray). it´s cheap and it is
    quick to make. just change the oil in the left fork tube.

    anyhow, if you stiffer the fork the balance of the bike is gone. you have to upgrade the rear end of the bike, the shock. and that is the point where i am absolutely interested in:

    what is the detailed feedback about the fox-shock?

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anyone has tried The 43 mm Tech fork ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. spoke to big Frank at Beta. Said there is a front end kit being put together for the xtrainer and will be available soon. Anyone know more specifics on it??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Talked to Sierra Motorcycle Supply and they say the Boano Xtrainer fork won't be back because of the demise of Marzocchi.

    Would love to know more about the Beta front end kit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can anyone tell me if the BRP under bar mount for a Scotts dampener will work with these triple clamps?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete